Sarah is a fun-loving speaker and the author of over 11 books ranging from popular devotionals to serious engagement with literature and narrative. In recent years she has served as the preliminary fiction judge for the Christianity Today Book Awards and consults with aspiring writers about their manuscripts in progress. A graduate of Wheaton College and Duke University Divinity School, she has served in full time and volunteer youth ministry for over 20 years–so please don’t ever ask her to eat pizza from a box. Ever. When she isn’t busy chasing two small boys around the house, she can be found (a) reading fiction, (b) writing fiction, (c) coordinating the youth ministry of Sycamore Creek Church in Lansing, MI, where her husband, Tom, is pastor, or (d) all of the above.
- Master of Theological Studies ’09, Duke University Divinity School, Durham NC.
4.0 GPA. Thesis on youth confirmation.
- B.A. ’95 with a double-major in English and intercultural Christian Education from Wheaton College, IL. Minor in biblical studies. Magna cum laude. Member of the Scholastic Honor Society.
- Current: Author, freelance writer, freelance writing consultant, and speaker. Click here for details on Sarah’s writing.
- 2016 to present: Author, Brazos Press, an imprint of Baker Publishing Group, Grand Rapids, IL
- 2010 to present: Author, Paraclete Press, Orleans MA
- 2003 to present: Author, Tyndale House Publishers, Carol Stream IL
- 2007 to present: Author & contributing writer, Upper Room Books, Nashville TN
- 1999 to present: Freelance writer, editor, reviewer & workshop leader, United Methodist Publishing House, Nashville TN
- 1995 to 2002: Youth director, Petoskey United Methodist Church, Petoskey MI
- 1995: Staff writer, Boyne City Citizen and Walloon Lake Villager
- 1992: Staff, Spring Hill Camp, Evart MI
- Married in May 1997 to best friend, Tom, pastor of Sycamore Creek United Methodist Church in Lansing, MI.
- Proud mommy of Micah and Sam.
- Fiction judge, 2017, 2016, & 2010 Christianity Today book awards.
- Founding board member, annual C. S. Lewis Festival in Northern Michigan.
- Consultant, HarperOne’s C. S. Lewis Bible.
- Chaired the first annual juried arts exhibit at Duke Divinity School.
- Illustrated one issue of the poetry journal Time of Singing; created the illustration on pg. 9 of her book The God-Hungry Imagination.
- 2016 interview on the podcast “Behind the Curtain” with Noah Filipiak, in which Sarah discusses how she got published, that scary word “platform,” and spiritually healthy ways of measuring success.
- 2016 podcast interview by Jay McNeal & the Coffeepot Fellowship, in which Sarah reveals one of her biggest ministry blunders.
- 2015 Christmas podcasts and interviews, including “Inside Out” with Martha Manikas-Foster, as well as WBCL’s “Author! Author!” program with Lynne Ford (Sarah is the second author interviewed, about 10 minutes in).
- By Teen Ink, Summer 2012
- By David Crumm at Read the Spirit, Nov. 2011
- April 2013 Q&A about the book Mommy Time, with Tyndale House Publishers